Rental Property Tax Deductions | Benchmark

Rental Property Deductions

To help rental property owners identify what costs are deductible (and when) we have compiled the following lists to assist with your record keeping.

Expenses immediately deductible

Expenses where you may be able to claim an immediate deduction include:

  • Advertising for tenants
  • Bank charges
  • Body corporate fees and charges
  • Cleaning
  • Council rates
  • Electricity and gas
  • Gardening and lawn mowing
  • In-house audio/video service charges
  • Insurance (building, contents, public liability)
  • Interest on loans
  • Land tax
  • Lease document expenses (preparation, registration, stamp duty)
  • Legal expenses (excluding acquisition costs and borrowing costs)
  • Mortgage discharge expenses
  • Pest control
  • Property agent fees and commissions
  • Quantity surveyor’s fees
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Security patrol fees
  • Servicing costs (i.e. servicing a water heater)
  • Stationery and postage
  • Telephone calls and rental
  • Tax-related expenses
  • Travel and car expenses, inspection, rent collection, maintenance
  • Water charges

Expenses deductible over a number of years

There are three types of expenses you can incur for your rental property that can be claimed over a number of income years:

  • Loan setup fees
  • Plant and equipment purchases (such as curtains)
  • Capital works deductions/building depreciation

There are a number of local depreciation companies in Perth that can assist in providing additional guidance for landlords, including Deppro, BMT and Depwest.

Expenses not deductible

Expenses that are not deductible include:

  • Acquisition and disposal costs of the property like stamp duty and settlement fees
  • Expenses not actually incurred by you (i.e. water or electricity charges used by your tenants)
  • The cost of your own labour in maintaining the property
  • Expenses that are not related to the rental of a property, such as expenses connected to your own use of a holiday home that you rent out for part of the year

Disclaimer: the information contained herein is not advice and is for general discussion purposes only. You should seek advice from a registered tax agent in regards to your personal situation.

If you would like us to put you in touch with a registered tax agent or tax depreciation specialist please complete the Contact Us form your social media marketing partner